Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Confession of OCDness and awesomeness.

My sisters apparently left at 6:30 this morning for their trek. I knew in the back of my head they were leaving today, but it took me several hours of calling and thinking to remember. Cue the flashback and confession:

I've had 2 previous opportunities to go on a trek. (FYI, a trek is a thing LDS youth do in the summers, where they cross plains with handcarts to act like pioneers to understand our culture's history). The first was with the girls, but I had "work" (I did work, but I could have easily gotten out of it) and the other one I "unfortunately" (truly unintentional, but a wonderful excuse) shattered my cuboid bone in my foot. So I "couldn't" go. 

It isn't that I don't think it is a great experience. It is fantastic, to hear the testimonies of those younger kids when they come back. It is just that I... can't be dirty. I can't. It physically makes me want to scratch all of the dirt and sweat and dust off of me. I can't go more than a 1/2 hour after working out without showering. I can't touch people's hair if I don't wash my hands immediately after. I use lotion regularly, because dry, cracked hands are unacceptable. I'm a clean freak. I'm not neat by any means. My room is usually a disaster, and my bed is usually unmade. This imperfection I have makes it incredibly hard to imagine going DAYS without showering while trekking in dirt, walking miles under the hot sun sweating, with no makeup, or clean bathrooms to do my business. IMPOSSIBLE. So I applaud those strong enough to do it.

Back to the point: The girls are on their trek somewhere in the wilderness. And when people go on treks, the leaders  have a family member secretly write them a letter of encouragement and love as they struggle in the middle of nowhere. So this year, I got to write the letter as the special adult! WOO!

But they don't know that yet. So I've been wondering when they will read it, and what they will think, because let me just say, the letter is pretty precious. It's quite the tearjerker. So I'm pretty excited to hear from them. Because they will be saying "Oh, Kalie is the Best Sister EVER!!!"

True story.

No comments:

Post a Comment