Monday, June 18, 2012

Road trip!

Well, it was quite a weekend.

Friday: I did lots of homework, and we headed out for Provo (meaning Gavin, Riley, Ken, Elle and I). I took Nyquil, so I didn't get sick :) We stopped for some delicious Inn-N-Out. YUM! and eventually got to Provo. The guys stayed at some of their friends' place, and the girls and I stayed at Ken's aunt's. We were EXHAUSTED.

Saturday: We got up, and got ready for our big day. Elle got picked up by the boys to go to Salt Lake for Warped Tour, and Ken and I decided we were going to just walk over to Provo, which Ken believed to be 2 miles away. WRONG. We walked for an hour and a half, and decided to call a cab. An hour later, we got to Tucanos!!! We had starved ourselves all day so we could stuff ourselves. And stuff ourselves we did. Tucanos had a Father's Day special, which gave us free dessert. SO GOOD! We looked like we were 5 months pregnant, we were so full! Sad. Then, we wanted to get a pedicure because our feet hurt, so following Makenna's "intuition", we walked at  least ANOTHER hour, only to realize the salon we went to was for hair only. The receptionist was our age and felt so bad for us, she begged us to let her take us to her favorite nail salon. Now, I know not to accept rides from strangers, but this girl was our age, and was from Makenna's hometown, so we accepted. She was SO NICE! When we got there, it was about 25 feet behind Tucanos. At that point, I almost strangled Makenna. It was hilarious. But we worked all of those calories off! And those pedicures were HEAVENLY, especially after several hours of walking. So cute! I got purple with sparkles, and Ken got teal. I'm in bed, so please excuse the weird picture:
but ya. No mess ups like normal! And my feet are super soft. WOOO!

After pedicures, we decided to go to the University Mall, which we took a bus to get there. We got pretzels, which made our food babies even bigger. Bad decision, I was still full. We got our makeup done, and then my uncle Doug got us!!!  let me tell you about Doug; I don't see him enough. So hilarious!!! I didn't know he was getting us, I had called Sue because we were staying at her place that night. But I was so excited that he was in town! He lives in Arizona, so I have only seen him two-ish times in the last decade. First thing he asked was, "What do you want to do now?"

Then, we had the funnest adventure of the day: Doug taught me to drive stick shift! It was hilarious. So many people would honk at me as I got stalled, and would laugh as we practiced. It was awesome! You kinda had to have been there for you to understand how much fun it was.

AND THEN, we went to Sue's. Which was so fun. If you don't know my family, well, you should.Sue and Doug are my dad's sister and brother, and are pretty much the most hilarious people ever. We caught up, and just chilled out. I'm so grateful to have a family in which the extended family is SO close. I was talking to Makenna later, and she had said that she didn't have a relationship like I had with Sue or Doug with any of her extended family, which was crazy to me, because I only see Sue and Doug at reunions. I have even closer relationships with aunts, uncles and cousins in Nampa. Such a blessing!

We got Elle later that night, and crashed on a queen sized air mattress together. Hilarious.

Sunday: Got up around eleven, and showered. We had slept 12 hours from extreme exhaustion. I called my dad for Father's Day, which was great. At 12, everyone else got back from church. We had pancakes and eggs, and just chilled out. At one-ish, I took Elle and Makenna to Gavin's family reunion so they could go on a hike, which I skipped to have dinner with my family. I got back to Sue's, and played Ticket to Ride with Doug, Sue, Annie, and Lucy (Annie and Lucy are Sue's girls). I got 3rd. Oh well.

At six, Ammon, Kim, Josh, and Alauna came over (my dad's brother, his wife, and their kids who live in Salt Lake) along with my grandpa (who was in town for a funeral) came over for dinner. Doug barbecued ribs, that are a Famous Dave's recipe, and Holy Cow. They were SOOOOOO good. We talked about going to Lagoon in a few weeks together, and making rafting a part of the family reunion in August. I'm so excited! Unfortunately, only a half hour after the Ammon got there, my friends came to pick me up to go back to Rexburg. 

The drive home was miserable. I was so carsick the whole time. It took FOREVER. We didn't get back til 11:45 p.m. As the boys were saying goodbye, and congratulated me on not vomiting, I said, "That's the longest car ride I've been awake and had not thrown up!" I spoke to soon. I couldn't even get to the elevator before I ran to the bathroom to throw up. UGHHHHH.

I showered, wrote a letter I will describe later, and then passed out for 12 hours. I woke up extremely exhausted and still nauseous, so I skipped class. Woo. I took a test, which leads to now. Blogging.

I guess the life lesson from this weekend was that family always trumps friends. I had a blast with my friends this weekend, but I definitely had more fun being with my family. I always have known that, but it just becomes more evident with age. Go family! And sorry this was long, I had a long weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment